Image Stacker 2.0

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's Star Tracer and Image Stacker software
StevenTheEasilyAmused

Duplicate images in the Input Files

Post by StevenTheEasilyAmused » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:55 pm

The problem that remains is that the "Input Files" shows files multiple times (item #4 from my earlier post)

I've figured out how to reproduce it, though.
1. Start Image Stacker
2. Add images using the "Add Images Button"
3. Create a composite
4. Use File -> "Remove all Images"
5. Use Add Images to select the same or different images.
All the previously listed images are shown again - and if the same file has been reselected, it is shown multiple times.
6. Each time File->Remove all selected is used, the files are remembered.

Selecting multiple images and using the "Remove Selected" button behaves properly.

maxlyons

Re: Duplicate images in the Input Files

Post by maxlyons » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:29 pm

StevenTheEasilyAmused wrote:The problem that remains is that the "Input Files" shows files multiple times (item #4 from my earlier post)
Steven,

Thanks...I can reproduce this, and will fix it.

Max

maxlyons

Re: imgstack.exe has stopped working... (re 2.0)

Post by maxlyons » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:34 pm

I'm Gglad it seems to work now. It would be nice to try and pinpoint what it was that solved the problem in case someone else runs into the same issue.
StevenTheEasilyAmused wrote:Question: if I "uninstall" is there something else I should do to make sure everything is really gone?
Not really. The only things that might get left behind are a couple of tiny files in the application data directory storing program settings and data showing that Image Stacker is registered. This way, if you decide to reinstall (or you have uninstalled an older version prior to upgrading), you don't lose all of your settings, and you don't have to go digging through ancient e-mails (or ask me to go digging through my ancient e-mails) to try and find your registration code.

Image Stacker itself doesn't write anything to the registry. The program that installs Image Stacker writes some information so that the option to "uninstall" shows up in the control panel. I think the registry keys you mentioned are updated by the operating system.

Max

StevenTheEasilyAmused

Post by StevenTheEasilyAmused » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:59 pm

maxlyons wrote:I'm Gglad it seems to work now. It would be nice to try and pinpoint what it was that solved the problem in case someone else runs into the same issue.
I have no clue what caused the problem. It could be any combination of: Having a prior version installed in a non-default location, uninstalling the prior version and reinstalling in a non-default location. The solution seemed to be manual clean up of the registry.

By the way, any progress on the fix? I'm planning to demonstrate how to use Image Stacker in my Star Trail Workshop this November (hopefully that will generate some well deserved sales for you, too - or maybe I can license copies for our participants?)

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:13 am

StevenTheEasilyAmused wrote:By the way, any progress on the fix? I'm planning to demonstrate how to use Image Stacker in my Star Trail Workshop this November (hopefully that will generate some well deserved sales for you, too - or maybe I can license copies for our participants?)
Steven,

I haven't had time to work on the fix yet, but hopefully soon. Thanks for promoting Image Stacker at your workshop!

Max

Bosox8

Post by Bosox8 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:00 am

Max,

I just loaded ImageStacker 2.01 tonight using Windows Vista 64-bit. I got an error message when I tried to load more than 14 TIF files at a time. Is there a limit to the number of images that can be loaded into the stacker?

The error message begins with

-b -p0 -o

then lists the path for all the files and it ends with

Error description: The data area passed to a system call is too small

I was able to do my images 14 at a time, then I stacked the five stacked images to get my final image. I created tif files from CR2 raw in a batch process in Photoshop CS5.

Thanks,
Gary

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:32 am

Bosox8 wrote:I just loaded ImageStacker 2.01 tonight using Windows Vista 64-bit. I got an error message when I tried to load more than 14 TIF files at a time. Is there a limit to the number of images that can be loaded into the stacker?
I didn't intentionally program any limit into Image Stacker, but perhaps the OS is imposing a limit. I just tried 20 images with no problem.

Can you send me or post a screenshot of the window that appears when you use the Help->Show Command Line menu item?

Thanks,

Max

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:43 am

maxlyons wrote:I didn't intentionally program any limit into Image Stacker, but perhaps the OS is imposing a limit.
It looks like the OS does impose a limit. From this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library ... S.80).aspx
The maximum string length is 2,003 characters in .NET Framework applications...
I'll start looking for an acceptable alternate approach to avoid this limit.

Max

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:44 am

maxlyons wrote:I haven't had time to work on the fix yet, but hopefully soon.
Steven,

I have fixed this bug, and it will be part of the next release. I hope to bundle it with a fix to the maximum command line length bug also identified here.

Max

StevenTheEasilyAmused

Another bug in 2.0...

Post by StevenTheEasilyAmused » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:30 am

My wife's computer has Win 7 x64. Under "Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Display" the "Make it Easier" setting is 125% and this causes some of the buttons to be unusable in both the Noise Reduction dialog and the Register Dialog. In fact, since no buttons are visible on the Noise Reduction dialog in 125% mode once it is opened, I must kill Image Stacker because it is a modal dialog - and it can only be killed via the Task Manager.

I have a brief Tutorial on Image Stacker up on Vimeo.

And while I've got you... as you can see in the tutorial I'd request that the suggested output file include the stacking mode. (E.g. BR, AVG, STK, STKnnn, DK).

You'll also notice my concern about dark frame handling in the Image Stacker UI. IMHO it would be much simpler to have a separate area to drag (and/or load) the dark frameS into.

Finally, I've sent you a private question about licensing Image Stacker.

maxlyons

Re: Another bug in 2.0...

Post by maxlyons » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:51 pm

StevenTheEasilyAmused wrote:the "Make it Easier" setting is 125%...I must kill Image Stacker because it is a modal dialog - and it can only be killed via the Task Manager.
I'll see if there is any easy way for the program to detect this setting and resize its windows, frames, labels, text boxes, etc. accordingly.

However, you can dismiss any of the dialogs by clicking the "Esc" button on the keyboard, so you shouldn't need to resort to the Task Manager!
I have a brief Tutorial on Image Stacker up on Vimeo.
Great. Thanks.
And while I've got you... as you can see in the tutorial I'd request that the suggested output file include the stacking mode. (E.g. BR, AVG, STK, STKnnn, DK).

You'll also notice my concern about dark frame handling in the Image Stacker UI. IMHO it would be much simpler to have a separate area to drag (and/or load) the dark frameS into.
Sounds good. I'll consider both of these.

Max

StevenTheEasilyAmused

Post by StevenTheEasilyAmused » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:37 pm

Thanks for the "Esc" tip. It means I don't have to kill the program.

Without the buttons on those dialogs, however, one can't enter the license code, or click OK for the dark frame.

Also, thanks for your reply to my PM.

Bosox8

Post by Bosox8 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:16 pm

maxlyons wrote:
Bosox8 wrote:I just loaded ImageStacker 2.01 tonight using Windows Vista 64-bit. I got an error message when I tried to load more than 14 TIF files at a time. Is there a limit to the number of images that can be loaded into the stacker?
I didn't intentionally program any limit into Image Stacker, but perhaps the OS is imposing a limit. I just tried 20 images with no problem.

Can you send me or post a screenshot of the window that appears when you use the Help->Show Command Line menu item?

Thanks,

Max
Hi Max,

Version 2.10 took care of this issue. Thanks!

Gary