Recommend color profiles for use with Star Tracer

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's Star Tracer and Image Stacker software
Paul2660

Recommend color profiles for use with Star Tracer

Post by Paul2660 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:48 pm

I have to first say, thanks for this great program, it works! Very well.

My question is on what or how star tracer prefers color profile info. Currently I am converted to jpgs or tifs with a
prophoto colorspace. If I open a image with this color space in Star Tracer after it runs and I save the file as a
single tif, when you open the file the color space has been converted to sRGB. The conversion in program does not
do a good job and seems to strip most of the color from the file. However if I convert to sRGB before I run Star Tracer
then all seems fine, however I would prefer to stay in prophoto as my color space. Is there anyway to set this? or have
I missed something in the preferences?

Also when saving, what is the advantage to saving in multiple tifs? instead of one flatten tif?

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
http://www.photosofarkansas.com

maxlyons

Re: Recommend color profiles for use with Star Tracer

Post by maxlyons » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Star Tracer doesn't read color profile information in the input images, and doesn't write any color profile information to output images. To the extent that Star Tracer appears to have "converted" an image to sRGB, my guess it that whatever image editor you are using assumes that the image output by Star Tracer is in sRGB color space because it doesn't have any profile. In fact, images output by Star Tracer are in whatever color space your input image(s) were in...you may need to manually assign the correct color profile to the image after processing with Star Tracer.

Saving to Multiple TIFFs allows you more control over final editing/touchup/blending.

Max

Paul2660

Post by Paul2660 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:37 am

Max,

Thanks, for the input. It's strange however since Photoshop should open the images with the message "no profile information is available" and ask me what color profile to assign.

My workflow is to save my stack results as a tif in the prophoto space most times 8 bit. I then open this image in Star Tracer and work the rotations and then save the output as a
tif (using the single option). When I open this image again in Photoshop, photoshop is seeing the sRGB colorspace already assigned to the image. I will go back over my steps one
more time to make sure I am not missing something. However if I open this image in the sRGB color space that CS thinks is assigned the colors look terrible and if I assign or convert
prophoto back to the image it doesn't help.

So far, my only work around is just convert the output from the stack to sRGB then work with Star Tracer and leave everything in sRGB from then on, which long term I don't want to
do.

Paul

Paul2660

Post by Paul2660 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:34 pm

Update,
I somehow had the "ask when opening" boxes unchecked, not sure how that happened.
Re ran a image in prophoto and this time CS asked me and I told to assign prophoto and the colors were fine.

Where I get confused is, the image goes into Star Tracer as a 8 bit tif with prophoto assigned. It comes out as a
8 bit tif with no color profile information, which you can re-assign, but that to seems that somehow the original
color profile is stripped off the file.

I should also note that when these files run, I get a paragraph or so error, about tags being cut off, but I haven't
done a screen print since the results are perfect, just need to have the profile re-assigned.

Paul Caldwell