Problems with Star Tracer and optimize step

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's Star Tracer and Image Stacker software
Paul2660

Problems with Star Tracer and optimize step

Post by Paul2660 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:25 pm

I have recently run into a problem with star tracer, when working with a 14mm image (taken with a Nikon 14-24mm lens). The file was created in CS6, using the stack modes, where I output a single file that has captured all the star motion I had in one 40 minute series. The stacks always vary, from 30" to over 2.5 min. When I open the image in star tracer, the first problem I notice is that the FOV shows as 176.6. This is a 14mm lens and I am not sure if this is correct. I read the notes on how to determine the FOV, and on a 14mm lens 35mm format I thought it should be 104. However on the few images where I got the optimizer to work without manual entry it seems to come back to 91.16 for the FOV.

After I trace over about 15 examples and hit optimize, many times I get an error, where star tracer states that there are one or more lines that are too large and asks if I want to accept the values, if I do, then the created image is very distorted. I was able to get one image to optimize with a FOV of 91.16 and I have just been inputting the values for the other 3 measurements from that run. So far they have worked, but I can't figure out why I keep getting this error.

I had not used Star tracer for a while, but I just started using it with Nikon lenses. In the past I had only worked with Canon glass. For my work, the 14-24 seems to be a good lens, and I would like to be able to use it in the 14mm to 20mm range. So far I have only shot in the 14mm range to 17mm range. But the only way I currently can get a good result is to use settings from a earlier run that worked.

If possible, I can send you a file that is causing me trouble so you can see the errors.

Once the numbers are inputed manually the tool works great and leaves me with a great result, but I worried that eventually I will run into a file that these settings won't work with.

Star tracer can work wonders on gapped files just need to figure out why I am having issues on the optimizer step.

Sincerely
Paul Caldwell
paul@photosofarkansas.com

maxlyons

Re: Problems with Star Tracer and optimize step

Post by maxlyons » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:53 am

Can you post (or send me) your project file? I'll take a look.

Thanks,

Max

Paul2660

Re: Problems with Star Tracer and optimize step

Post by Paul2660 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:53 pm

Max, sent you a pm.

Thanks
Paul