Cant Optimize

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's Star Tracer and Image Stacker software
DougC

Cant Optimize

Post by DougC » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:41 pm

Sorry for this basic question. I downloaded the Star Tracer program and successfully opened and traced about 25 stars. I calculated the FOV and clicked the Optimize button, but I get an error message stating "Cannot locate stitcher/optimizer program". I've deleted the program and reinstalled it twice with the same results. I did not change any settings in the install Wizard.

I have to admit that I've been a Mac user exclusively for about the past 10 years and just bought a WIndows 8 machine. So, it may be a very basic issue I'm overlooking or unaware of.

Any help would be appreciated.

maxlyons

Re: Cant Optimize

Post by maxlyons » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:21 pm

Hi Doug,

Sorry about the problem. I wonder if all of the necessary files got installed correctly? Can you tell me where Star Tracer is installed on your system, and if the directory that contains Star Tracer also contains a file called "ptastitcher.exe"?

On my Windows 7 system, the default install location is "C:\Program Files (x86)\StarTracer", and that directory contains the two really important files needed for Star Tracer to work: StarTracer.exe and ptastitcher.exe. Is your system the same?

Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows 8 system, but I don't believe that there are any important differences with respect to file locations.

Max

DougC

Post by DougC » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:33 pm

Thanks for the reply Max.

I checked and my files are installed just like yours. Both in the Program Files (x86) and both the stitcher and Tracer.exe files are there.

I loaded a stacked image created in StarStaX (mac version) into your Star Tracer and attempted to run the Tracer program. As I mentioned above, I got the can't find the optimizer/stitcher program.

So, I downloaded your stacker program and reloaded a few of the original photographs to create a stacked image with your software thinking my StarStax created image may have been the problem. Well, I can't even get the Image Stacker to run either. The command line programming starts and tries to run but abruptly closes. I tried loading tiffs and jpegs with the same result. Any ideas? No error message comes up.

Thanks in advance,
Doug

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:36 am

Strange. I'm not sure what the problem is. It sounds like there is a general problem running these apps on your machine. Can you try logging in as an administrator and seeing if that works? Maybe there is some restriction on one application (i.e. the GUI) launching another (i.e. the command line app that does all of the image processing) on your machine?

Max

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:56 pm

Doug,

I have posted a test version of StarTracer with some changes that I hope should help resolve this problem. If not, I hope that it will at least give me some more diagnostic information.

Can you give it a test a let me know how it works?

http://www.tawbaware.com/startracer_111_beta.zip

Thanks,

Max

DougC

Post by DougC » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:41 pm

Hey Max,

Thanks, worked perfectly!

Doug