Help with Panomatic...

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's PTAssembler software, Helmut Dersch's Panorama Tools software and any other photography related software

Moderator: spamkiller

Help with Panomatic...

Postby Jim Zuccaro » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:12 pm

Hello again, (my old user name was Jim Z)

I'm trying to get Panomatic to work... any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated.

I was computerless for a while, and my present return to PTA is with a Windows 7 64 bit, 4 core AMD machine. My PTA installation works properly with manually set control points. Panomatic starts with the 'autocreate' button, the DOS-looking window shows a couple pages worth of script/verbose/lines, and then quits (Panomatic quits, PTA stays open and running). There are no control points, and no further action from PTA; ie no optimizer run, or error messages.

I've tried both the SSE and No SSE versions of Panomatic. And tried '-n1' etc aguements, but nothing makes a difference. FWIW, the check installation and ini files look ok, so far as I can tell.

PTA install is 5.8 beta, and panomatic is configured from the 'preferences' box.

Also, I don't think that it is large photo file size problem, I tried using Max's four sample (in the PTA tutorial) images, and have the same problem.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions for setting up Panomatic? Thanks much!

Jim Z
Jim Zuccaro

Re: Help with Panomatic...

Postby Roll' » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:47 am

Hi,

I have had the same problem since I switched to Windows 7 64bit. The only way I have found to fix that problem is to work the images three by three at most. It's not very disturbing if you deal with a few images panorama but it can turn out to be a great handicap if you work on a big pano.

Arnaud
Roll'

Problem fixed

Postby Jim Zuccaro » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:36 pm

I don't know why, but Panomatic works now. I'm having a continuing problem with Windows conflicts with motherboard vidio drivers (occasional lockups/freezes.) I have had to do many restores of the OS, to the initial install state, and some where in the process Panomatic started working with PTA.

Roll, I'm trying to see how many images I can do at once.

thanks, Jim Z

PS: Can anyone explain the what the SSE and No SSE is. Does it make any difference in the use of Panomatic with PTA?
Jim Zuccaro

Postby dsp » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Hey Jim, welcome back.

Chances are your new machine is too souped up. Panomatic by default will operate on as many images as you have cores, and this typically leads to it crashing out. You can see if it is memory issues that are messing up panomatic (that's my guess). In preferences, under plugins, select panomatic config, enter "--ncores 1" under the command line arguments. On my machine, with large images and multiple cores, panomatic needs more memory than it can get as a 32 bit app. It doesn't quite fail, but it won't find control points between some images, and give some bad ones that could screw up the optimizer. If it works with "--ncores 1", just bump up to "--ncores 2" and so on. Let me know if this works for you...

cheers, Darcy
dsp

Postby Jim Zuccaro » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:00 pm

Thanks, Darcy!

I'll be working my way up, in increments. (...after I get some pictures on the computer, and a raw file viewer to work, and a raw converter to work... and display adapter drivers that don't stop the computer!)

Just curious, it' that Panomatic bumps against the 2gig or 3 gig menory maximum of 32 bits, and more parallel cores or processes demands more than the max avalable memory?

thanks, Jim Z
Jim Zuccaro

Postby dsp » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:11 am

Jim Zuccaro wrote:Just curious, it' that Panomatic bumps against the 2gig or 3 gig menory maximum of 32 bits, and more parallel cores or processes demands more than the max avalable memory?

That's what it looks like. Panomatic seems memory intensive, and for each core that you have, it will grab a picture and work on it, which is great. But, depending on how much mem it allocates for each pic, it can bump up against the memory limit for 32 bit apps. A 64-bit compiled version of panomatic won't have this problem.

cheers, Darcy
dsp

Postby Jim Zuccaro » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:51 pm

Darcy,

Here are a couple of moasic pics for you.

The winch in the shack at Goldfield.

And a pic of the Fordson tractor at Benton Hot Springs, across the highway from the house.

thanks! Jim Z
Jim Zuccaro

Postby dsp » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:53 am

I do like that winch (ok, I like pretty much everything around Goldfield...)!
cheers, Darcy
dsp

Postby Jim Zuccaro » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:04 am

dsp wrote:I do like that winch (ok, I like pretty much everything around Goldfield...)!
cheers, Darcy

After seeing your pic of the winch, I looked inside the shack the next time I was there. Dummy me, I'd looked all around the outside of the shack, looked down the mine shaft (very deep), and climbed to the top of the hill, but I never looked inside the winch shack...

thanks, Jim Z
Jim Zuccaro

Postby WWG » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:40 pm

I just ran into the same problem with Panomatic not accepting all the images in a group and returning no control points for those rejected images. I have an i7 processor which has 6 physical cores and 12 threads. I tried the "--ncores #" command line in the Preferences as discussed above on an 8 image pano. It worked fine with #= 1, 2, 4, 6, but generated the same errors with 8. I think it can only deal with the physical cores, not the additional throughput provided by the threads. It is pretty fast though.

Thanks for posting this suggestion.

BTW, Autopano 1.03 crashed completely.

Has anyone found a way of speeding up Smartblend? It seems comparatively sluggish compared to the rest of the processes.
Werner
WWG

Return to PTAssembler, Panorama Tools and Other Software