New to Panorama

Discussion forum for techniques and issues relating to the creation of panoramic and/or "mosaic" images

Moderator: spamkiller

New to Panorama

Post by DaDane » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:25 am

I am new to panorama, or at least in any serious sense of the word.
I have used my DSLR to do some handheld panoramas stitched with autostitch og Hugin.

I would like to step up.

But I have a lot of questions.
1) If I want to do serious high megapixels panoramas how do I get it to work even if the wind is changing the trees a bit or if people are moving around? I suppose the software is somehow cheating and making a nice looking image. My question is both which software do I need and what do I need to feed it with (just one of each pictures or would it need duplicates? How much overlap etc) and also how is it even possible (just the easy version I suppose)
Will photoshop be able to do everything I want? I ask because I think I will get photoshop from my employer in August or September.
2) What equipment do I need? I have DSLR and I have lense. Obviously I will need a tripod and a pano-head. Anything else? Which tripod and which pano-head can you suggest?

Last edited by DaDane on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: New to Panorama

Post by DaDane » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:36 am

Here's a none-cropped image I did in Israel

Post by abid.ali » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:18 am

I have been using PTassembler for over a year now and have had very good results with panoramas. My largest number of mages is twenty two. That is two rows of eleven images. No problems with the panorama but my main interest is super high resolution and I see very little improvement in the resolution. In fact in the twenty-two image mentioned above I see little or no improvement in resolution in, for example, a center image and the same location in the panorama. Should I be using more images and more rows? If so, roughly, how large a mosaic should I construct before I start seeing a significant improvement in resolution

Post by johnh » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:08 am

To create a higher resolution image - i.e. one that contains more detail - you will need to use a lens with a longer focal length. This will have a narrower field of view such as you get when zooming in with a zoom lens, and so you will generally require more images to cover the scene that you wish to capture. Simply shooting more images with the same focal length lens will not have any effect on the resolution of the stitched image.