Autumn Leaf Gigapixel #2

Discussion forum for images in Max Lyons' and other image galleries...post links to your own images here

Moderator: spamkiller

maxlyons

Autumn Leaf Gigapixel #2

Post by maxlyons » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:06 pm

My neighbors must think I'm going crazy. I've been wandering around the neighborhood, hunched over, eyes fixed firmly on the ground. More than one has asked me what I've lost. I haven't lost anything. In fact, I've been looking for the perfect leaf to photograph...one with just the right color, without many blemishes, with no ragged edges, just the right size, and so on. This year the leaf display hasn't been particularly colorful, and the choices are limited. Anyway, here's the best one I've found over the last few days...a little tattered, but otherwise quite suitable!

The full size image is almost exactly one gigapixel (31700x31700 pixels), and is comprised of about 260 images, stacked into about 70 frames and then stitched using PTAssembler.

One of the nice things about such a large image is the ability to create a sizeable picture from a small crop. Here's a crop from the center that is still suitable for printing at large size (about 144 megapixels or 12000x12000 pixels)

Finally, here is a full size crop from the image

There are many more crops from this image here.

Max

dsjtecserv

Post by dsjtecserv » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:17 pm

Max:

Out of curiousity, what is the file size of the full gigapixel image? I just bought a 1 TB hard drive just for my photographs, and my panos are "tiny" compared to yours. You must either ruthlessly delete everything that isn't perfect, or own a hard drive farm!

Dave

dsp

Post by dsp » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:02 pm

Crazy? Crazy like a fox! No different than me climbing the same hill a few nights a week for 10 years to watch the sunset. I'm sure there are many of us on the forums who exhibit similar pathological behavior! We have a few more colorful leaves up around here, free for the taking. Come on up, and I'll show you around. The shots are all very interesting, though I am still hooked on the very first one you posted.

Have you thought about doing some channel mixing B&Ws or luminosity separations on the images to up some specific contrast elements? For a static crinkly leave, shooting a pair of panos stereoscopically would be pretty sweet. To get the sharpness in the depth of field, you may have to settle for a hundred megapixels, but that would still be awesome. Just passing the buck on some things that I have wanted to do, but haven't found the time to do well!

I expect your leaf search to continue, and in the winter, I'll be on the lookout for a gigapixel window frost pattern.

cheers, Darcy

Jim Z

Re: Autumn Leaf Gigapixel #2

Post by Jim Z » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:50 pm

maxlyons wrote: My neighbors must think I'm going crazy. I've been wandering around the neighborhood, hunched over, eyes fixed firmly on the ground.
Not crazy, just the sure sign of someone who has a macro lens or a stereo microscope! (I just read an excellent book about snow flakes; the author takes his triocular microscope with DSLR and cross polorized lighting, in the back of his car, from Boston to northern Ontario, to catch and photograph snowflakes in snowstorms... )

FWIW, micro photography is a very small, but fun world. I haven't seen that anyone has applied photo stitching to it, before this. (The leaf picture, to me, is getting into the microscopic realm.)

thanks
Jim Z

dsp

Post by dsp » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:47 pm

Hey Jim, I've stitched a few images from a microscopes, but they aren't so interesting to post here. Because the motion is usually a simple in-plane translation, the warp/stitch step is easy. But the pictures were taken with some fancy equipment bought by Uncle Sam, in one of his houses many miles away now. But I do have a simple Leica Stemi SV6 stereoscope of my own - and after seeing Max's picture I looked into getting a DSLR camera mount for it, and it may be my Christmas present to myself. You will all know when I start posting high-res images of wrapping paper!

cheers, Darcy

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:05 pm

Thanks all...

Dave,
Out of curiousity, what is the file size of the full gigapixel image?
This one was amazingly small because of all the white space in the image which compresses extrememly well...it is about 700MB. Most of my gigapixel images are around 2000 MB or higher. I use TIFF with LZW compression when saving my images.
You must either ruthlessly delete everything that isn't perfect, or own a hard drive farm!
I don't delete much, but storage is a constant issue. Historically, I've burned everything to CDs (late 1990s) and then DVDs (2000s). I always make at least two copies of everything I burn and try and keep the second copy somewhere else. More recently I've been using external hard-drives to archive stuff, but I'm still burning copies onto DVD...just in case!

Darcy,
Crazy like a fox! ... Have you thought about doing some channel mixing B&Ws or luminosity separations on the images to up some specific contrast elements? For a static crinkly leave, shooting a pair of panos stereoscopically would be pretty sweet. To get the sharpness in the depth of field, you may have to settle for a hundred megapixels, but that would still be awesome. Just passing the buck on some things that I have wanted to do, but haven't found the time to do well!

I expect your leaf search to continue, and in the winter, I'll be on the lookout for a gigapixel window frost pattern.
I have played around with the colors a little, and it is possible to produce some very wild looking results, although I think that the natural colors are interesting all by themselves! I haven't played with B&W too much, but perhaps that would be even more interesting...

I'm not sure how many more leaves I'll do, but the frost sounds like an interesting idea! I like the idea of the stereoscopic panoramas, but it sounds like you have more equipment (and expertise) to pull this one off!
But I do have a simple Leica Stemi SV6 stereoscope of my own - and after seeing Max's picture I looked into getting a DSLR camera mount for it, and it may be my Christmas present to myself
I wondered about shooting through a microscope a myself. I don't know anything about microscopes, and after looking a little I couldn't figure out what sort of image quality a reasonably priced microscope would offer. I'll look forward to seeing your results!

Jim,
the author takes his triocular microscope with DSLR and cross polorized lighting, in the back of his car, from Boston to northern Ontario, to catch and photograph snowflakes in snowstorms...
Now, that is dedication. Or obsession. Or perhaps a bit of both!
FWIW, micro photography is a very small, but fun world. I haven't seen that anyone has applied photo stitching to it, before this.
I certainly can't claim to be the the first person to do this...in fact, I stumbled across this interesting forum the other night where it appears lots of folks have done similar things. Check out some of the work of Rik Littlefield, one of the regular participants...he seems to have done quite a lot of this with insects and other small objects.

Max

Jim Z

Post by Jim Z » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:54 am

Max,

Thanks for the link to www.macrophotography2.net , and Rik Littlefield's contributions. The telecentric lens thread that he posted is very intreguing! What I knew of telecentric lenses was only from the lens (entrance pupil) paper that John H posted links to. My thoughts after seeing your leaf moasic was to think of stitching photos taken using a camera ocular/adapter on a stereo microscope. But the example of a macro telecentirc lens, and DOF image stacking, and image stiching, wow... that's a whole other world... macro lenses and extentions or bellows have very interesting uses in macro photography.

thank you!
Jim Z

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:10 pm

Max,

Thanks for the link to http://www.photomacrography2.net.

Yes, there are several of us on that forum who have worked with stack-and-stitch macro. One of our members (a professional entomologist) has actually published an insect ID book that is entirely illustrated with high resolution stacked and stitched photos captured with an automated microscope system.

Jim,

Thanks for the interest in my telecentric thread.

There are actually several related threads, which can be found by searching the photomacrography2.net forum for the word "telecentric". You may be particularly interested in the approach using an auxiliary lens, described in this one.

It's worth pointing out that there is a whole spectrum of techniques that work for stack-and-stitch, largely depending on the size of the subject.

For large subjects, there's no substitute for the classic panorama approach of rotating around the entrance pupil.

For subject size in the centimeter range, telecentric lens systems become viable and attractive because they play nicely with precision positioners, using say 0.010" or smaller focus steps.

For subject size in the millimeter range, DOF per frame becomes so shallow that it's possible to just forget about perspective and stack-and-stitch as if all of the images had orthographic perspective, even though they really don't.

This is interesting stuff (I think!), and it's exciting to be able to make macro/micro pictures that we could only dream about before digital imaging became practical.

--Rik