TuFusion 0.8 beta

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's TuFuse and TuFuse Pro software

TuFusion 0.8 beta

Postby entropy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:34 pm

TuFusion 0.8 beta is now online. Changes include an updated interface, realtime preview, and the ability to view output in external applications (e.g., Photoshop). As always, you'll need tufuse.exe, dcraw.exe, and the .Net 2.0 framework. Download, change log, and screenshot below.

If you find any bugs, please post them in this thread and I'll do what I can to address them. Except for bug fixes, I consider TuFusion to be more or less feature complete, though I may update it to include features in future revisions of tufuse.exe. Any other features will have to wait until version 2.0....my target now is to push toward a reliable 1.0 release.

Download TuFusion 0.8 beta

TuFusion 0.8 Beta Change Log
    Added a preview window to quickly estimate the look of the final output.
    The output can be resaved as a JPEG file at a given compression level.
    EXIF information can optionally be preserved if resaving output as JPEG.
    The output can now be viewed in an external program of the user's choice.
    Added tooltips to every control.
    Allow the user to specify tufuse.exe and/or dcraw locations.
    Added several persistent options (tooltips enabled, specifying preview size, etc.).
    The job queue and image listboxes now include thumbnails.
    Added a presets directory; the program will automatically list any presets saved to that directory.
    Added links to websites of Max Lyons (creator of tufuse.exe) and David Coffin (creator of dcraw.exe).
    Added license/warranty information.

TuFusion 0.8 beta screenshot
entropy

Postby NEUH » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:06 am

Hi, entropy !

I am works with TuFusion periodically for comparing with M.Lyions GUI.
But I have not understand what is the matter of your parallel work ?

Have you another ideology as programmer or it is only interesting work for you.

Thanks.

Oleg.
NEUH

Postby entropy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:58 am

NEUH wrote:Hi, entropy !

I am works with TuFusion periodically for comparing with M.Lyions GUI.
But I have not understand what is the matter of your parallel work ?

Have you another ideology as programmer or it is only interesting work for you.

Thanks.

Oleg.

That's an interesting question, and the answer has a bit of a convoluted history. If you go and read this thread, you will find a post by Max responding to requests for a GUI:
maxlyons wrote:A few thoughts...

1. If you want to avoid the command line, then the "send to" batch file is a nice way of invoking TuFuse from the GUI.

2. There is a chance (considerably less than 100% probability) that I'll make a GUI.

3. There may be a chance that somebody else will make a GUI!

Max

When I read that post, Max seemed to me to be hesitant about the prospects of authoring a GUI for tufuse, and even offered hope that someone else might step up and create one. I have been a fan of Max's work for years...long before these forums even existed. It was he (and the desire to create my own panoramic images) that inspired me to get my own digital camera. So TuFusion started out as a sort of token of my appreciation to Max and all of the people that have made this forum the reservoir of valuable information that it has become.

By the time I learned of Max's intentions to go forward, I had already created the prototype to TuFusion. Had I known that beforehand, the thought of creating my own probably would have never even crossed my mind. By that point, I had already spent the effort, and was quite proud of my simple program.

My desire to keep TuFusion from being viewed as a competitor to TuFusePro was partly the reason for the self-imposed feature freeze mentioned in the original post. I felt obligated to implement those features that I said I was working on before TuFusePro was released, but now I have to tread more carefully--siphoning sales from Max was the last thing I was trying to accomplish. My thinking now is that TuFusion will remain a simple GUI frontend to tufuse.exe. If a new version of tufuse is released that exposes new functionality, I may revise TuFusion to keep step. We'll see....
entropy

Postby NEUH » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:30 am

Thanks for your detailed and a some historical answer.

Also I have a firm decision that your TuFusion job have a right on existance.

Oleg.
NEUH

Postby DJMoore » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:08 am

Wow.
DJMoore

Re: TuFusion 0.8 beta

Postby RaymondC » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:20 am

Hi Entropy,
I have been trying TuFusion for focus fusion. It has been doing a good job, with default settings just about identical to TuFuse Pro (trial version). As you would expect I suppose!

I have a couple of comments: I get an error message when trying to open large stacks. The message says it cannot find tufuse.exe, but that's not the problem, it's the size of the stack that is the cause. If the images are a reasonable size it doesn't like more than about 30 files. Or if the images are big, e.g. 12 megapixel, it will not process more than 15. At the moment I get round this by doing the stack in two batches. Focus-stacking, unlike exposure stacking, can use large numbers of pictures, sometimes over 100.

When selecting the preset "focus blend only" I do not get a focus blended image, but a result almost identical to exposure blend.

The output file has an alpha channel. I think this is a feature of tufuse, not your gui, but is there any need for this? - it makes the file incompatible with some software.

Now for the good news. TuFusion supports multicore processors and is faster than TuFuse Pro, at least on my computer, (although I am not sure why).

I like the interface. Keep up the good work.
Raymond
RaymondC

TuFusion 0.8 Beta

Postby MikeGG » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:27 pm

Entropy,

I started using TuFusion a few days ago and am most impressed with your GUI and, of course, the underlying TuFuse.
The Fast Preview is a very useful feature, but I've noticed that it is made unavailable for some jobs. Is it straightforward to explain under what circumstances the Fast Preview is not available?

Thanks, Mike.
MikeGG

Postby Castillonis » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:39 am

NOTE: I downloaded tufusion 0.8 beta again and installed it in another directory. I am now able to fuse three jpegs. I am also able to fuse three jpegs using the trial version of tfusePro. Though I am still unable to use the RAW .CR2 files.

ORIGINAL POST:
When I run 0.8 beta of tufusion on three raw files 0, -2, +2 from a Canon 40D I see a small black window flash and disappear without outputing the mapped file. I used the default settings.

I installed the 0.8 beta of tufusion. I placed a windows binary for tufuse and dcraw in the same directory and indicated the path including the name of the executable in tufusion.

I ran "dcraw -i -v IMG_XXXX.CR2 from a cygwin xterm to verify that dcraw has a chance of working. I also ran tufuse without options to see if it would output the valid command line arguments.

I tried clicking the edit script check box and inserting a directory name into the tufuse command line, but that did not fix the problem

Also, I see two executables extracted from the zip file. Tfusion_1.exe and Tfusion.exe each with their own readme file

Is the black window a DOS window outputting an error from dcraw or tufuse? I have a cygwin strace executable installed, but I don't think I can use it for this.
Castillonis

Postby tufuse1 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:07 am

I've also encountered the error with the blink of a dos-prompt window when trying to TuFuseIt from TuFusion GUI. The Fast Preview doesn't work either. So I investigated a bit in the script provided. It seems that the TuFusion 0.8 Beta is relying on an older version of tufuse.exe than the current (version 1.44). The switches -s and -B are no longer supported and could be replaced with the --cCo and --cBr of the newer version. This modification lets me perform the TuFuseIt action, but to have the review accessible the script must be in unedited form - which leaves it useless. Any chance of a newer version of TuFusion supporting this - or, could someone lead me to an older version of tufuse.exe which supports the -s and -B options (version 1.34??)? Please.

Kind regards,
Jeffery
tufuse1

Postby MikeGG » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:02 am

Jeffrey,

I can email it to you, if you put an email address in your profile.

Mike.
MikeGG

Postby tufuse1 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:04 am

Thanks MikeG!

I've PM'ed my email address to you.
tufuse1

Bump

Postby tufuse1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:47 am

Just giving this thread a bump - trying to get in contact with Mike; Did you get my email address?

Kind regards,
Jeff
tufuse1

Postby MikeGG » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:58 am

Jeff,

Couldn't email either .exe or .zip via gmai, but .zip seemed to go OK via another route.

I'll try YouSendIt with the .zip file now.

Mike.
MikeGG

Postby tufuse1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:38 am

Got it!

Thanks, Mike!
tufuse1

Postby MikeGG » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:43 am

My pleasure!

Mike.
MikeGG

Next

Return to TuFuse and TuFuse Pro