My first PTAssembler photo

Discussion forum for images in Max Lyons' and other image galleries...post links to your own images here

Moderator: spamkiller

My first PTAssembler photo

Postby aaronpriest » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:31 am

Hey folks!

I'm new to this forum. I've been reading and learning for a month or more, but finally decided to register and post. This is my first really successful image processed with PTAssembler, though I've been doing smaller panos with PhotoShop and other programs for awhile.

This shot is made up of 227 images of various focus and exposure taken with my Nikon D70. I used Neat Image, TuFuse, and SmartBlend during processing. TuFuse did a wonderful job with exposure, but I'm not having much luck yet with focus blending. I wound up removing a few images from the source list due to ghosted images and poor choice of which items were really in focus. After removing six or so troublesome images it looked great. I used AutoPano for the control points and the only thing I had to adjust was the roll or horizon level.

I'm really amazed at how quickly this stitched with relatively little user intervention. Incredible set of programs! The final 16-bit LZW compressed TIFF is 449MB, 10242x5797px, and 34.14x19.323". I have an ~34x20" image being printed on canvas by epingo.com that I'm anxiously awaiting to arrive.

Thanks Max for developing such a great program! :D

aaronpriest

Postby aaronpriest » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:47 am

Oh, just for comparison, here is the same scene straight out of the D70 shot @18mm. It is not as wide an angle as the pano, has less depth of field, and the exposure latitude is greater than the CCD is capable of recording. The highlights are blown (door and trim) and there are no shadow details in the trees. TuFuse really made a dramatic difference with the stitched image.

aaronpriest

Postby Darv » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:37 pm

nicely done, this pano stuff is addictive
Darv

Postby aaronpriest » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:32 pm

Darv wrote:nicely done, this pano stuff is addictive

It sure is!!! I'm working on three more, including a 360 quicktime tour of a room. I'm still trying to figure out how to stitch a 360 though.

I can see I'm going to need a new computer if I start doing this alot. I tried the same scene on a quad core video editing workstation that I built recently for a friend and it was ~16x faster than my aging Pentium 4!

I got the above 34x20" print on canvas with a luster finish from epingo.com the other day. All I can say is W-O-W!!! Everyone I've shown it to has been amazed. I'd like to find a way to make a living with this since I love photography anyway and it would be a niche market up here in Maine.
aaronpriest

Postby Jim Z » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:38 am

Aaron,

Yes, to ditto what Darv wrote, well done!

That's at least 221x better than than my first PTA photo stitch... and I haven't really figured out the Tufuse yet... ;-)

thanks
Jim Z
Jim Z

Return to Image Galleries